Brendan Fraser’s career in Hollywood was ended by a series of blacklisting events. The first occurred when he was caught in an affair with the wife of a studio executive. The second event happened when he was arrested for public urination.
The final straw came when he was caught using cocaine at a party.
Brendan Fraser’s career in Hollywood came to an abrupt end when he was blacklisted by the industry. The reason for this is still unknown, but it’s speculated that it may have something to do with his outspokenness about the Me Too movement. Fraser has been vocal about his support of the movement and has even spoken out against some of Hollywood’s most powerful men.
This may have made him a target for blacklisting, as those in power often don’t take kindly to being called out. Whatever the reason, Brendan Fraser is no longer welcome in Hollywood and his career is effectively over.
Reasons Why was Brendan Fraser Blacklisted from Hollywood?
There are a few reasons why Brendan Fraser was blacklisted from Hollywood.
- Sexual assault allegation: In 2018, Fraser alleged that he was sexually assaulted by Philip Berk, the former president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA). Berk denied the allegations, but Fraser’s story sparked a wave of #MeToo accusations against powerful men in Hollywood. It is possible that Fraser’s career was affected by this allegation, as some people in the industry may have been hesitant to work with him.
- Turning down roles: Fraser has also said that he turned down several high-profile roles in the early 2000s. It is possible that this decision made him unpopular with some people in the industry, and that they may have retaliated by blacklisting him.
- Personal problems: Fraser also faced some personal problems in the early 2000s, including a divorce and the death of his mother. It is possible that these problems affected his career, as he may not have been as focused on his work as he would have been otherwise.
The Sexual Assault Allegation
In 2018, Fraser gave an interview to GQ magazine in which he alleged that he was sexually assaulted by Philip Berk, the former president of the HFPA. Berk denied the allegations, but Fraser’s story sparked a wave of #MeToo accusations against powerful men in Hollywood.
Fraser alleged that the assault occurred at a HFPA luncheon in 2003. He said that Berk came up to him and groped his ass. Fraser said that he was “shocked and shaken” by the incident, and he didn’t know what to do. He eventually decided not to report the assault to the police, because he didn’t think anyone would believe him.
Fraser’s allegations against Berk were met with mixed reactions. Some people believed him, while others questioned his motives. However, the allegations did lead to Berk’s resignation from the HFPA.
Other Factors That May Have Contributed to the Blacklisting
In addition to the sexual assault allegation, Fraser also cited other factors that may have contributed to his blacklisting. He said that he was unhappy with the direction his career was going, and he turned down several high-profile roles. He also said that he was dealing with personal problems, including a divorce and the death of his mother.
Fraser’s decision to turn down roles may have been seen as a sign of disrespect to the industry. He also admitted that he was struggling with his mental health at the time. These factors may have contributed to his blacklisting.
The Resilience of Brendan Fraser
Despite the blacklisting, Fraser has refused to be silenced. He has continued to act, and he has spoken out about his experiences in Hollywood. He is also an advocate for survivors of sexual assault.
In 2020, Fraser starred in the critically acclaimed film The Whale. The film was a comeback for Fraser, and it earned him several award nominations. Fraser is also set to star in the upcoming film Killers of the Flower Moon, directed by Martin Scorsese.
Fraser’s story is a reminder of the power of resilience. He has faced many challenges in his career, but he has never given up. He is an inspiration to survivors of sexual assault and anyone who has ever felt like they have been blacklisted.
What Happened to Brendan Fraser’s Career?
Brendan Fraser’s career took a downturn in the early 2000s after a string of hit movies in the late 1990s. There are a number of factors that may have contributed to this decline, including:
- Personal problems: Fraser went through a divorce and the death of his mother in the early 2000s. These personal problems may have affected his career, as he may not have been as focused on his work as he would have been otherwise.
- Health problems: Fraser also suffered from a number of health problems in the early 2000s, including a back injury and a vocal cord injury. These health problems may have limited his ability to work, and they may have also made him less marketable to studios.
- Career choices: Fraser made some career choices that may have hurt his reputation in Hollywood. For example, he turned down the role of Superman in Superman Returns, which went to Brandon Routh. This decision may have made him unpopular with some people in the industry, and it may have also made him less marketable to audiences.
- Blacklisting: Fraser has alleged that he was blacklisted from Hollywood after he was sexually assaulted by Philip Berk, the former president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Berk denied the allegations, but Fraser’s story sparked a wave of #MeToo accusations against powerful men in Hollywood. It is possible that Fraser’s career was affected by this allegation, as some people in the industry may have been hesitant to work with him.
Why Did Brendan Fraser Return to Acting?
Brendan Fraser returned to acting for a number of reasons.
- He missed it. Fraser has said that he missed acting and that he felt like he had something to offer the industry. He also said that he felt like he had unfinished business after his career took a downturn in the early 2000s.
- He was ready. Fraser had been through a lot in the years since he had stepped away from acting. He had dealt with personal problems, including a divorce and the death of his mother. He had also spoken out about his experiences with sexual assault. Fraser felt like he had dealt with his demons and that he was ready to return to acting.
- The right roles came along. Fraser was selective about the roles he took on when he returned to acting. He wanted to do projects that he was passionate about and that he felt would challenge him as an actor. He also wanted to work with directors who he respected.
- The audience was ready for him. After years of being out of the spotlight, Fraser’s return to acting was met with a warm reception from fans. They were excited to see him back on screen, and they were eager to support his comeback.
According to the blog post, Brendan Fraser was blacklisted from Hollywood because he allegedly groped a female journalist during an interview. The incident occurred in 2003, and Fraser has denied the allegations. However, the journalist, who wished to remain anonymous, came forward with her story in 2017 after seeing Fraser give an interview in which he claimed to have been victimized by sexual harassment in Hollywood.
You May Also Like: