When Mission: Impossible – Fallout was released in 2018, many fans were surprised to see that Jeremy Renner’s character, Brandt, was not included in the film. Some even speculated that Renner had been cut from the movie entirely. However, the actor later revealed that he had actually opted not to return for the sixth installment in the franchise.
So, why wasn’t Jeremy Renner in Mission: Impossible – Fallout? There are a few possible reasons. First and foremost, it’s worth noting that Renner is now a very busy man.
In addition to his work on the Marvel Cinematic Universe films (in which he plays Hawkeye), he also has a lead role on the hit TV show The Bourne Legacy. It’s possible that he simply didn’t have time to film another Mission: Impossible movie. Additionally, it’s been rumored that there was some behind-the-scenes tension between Renner and Tom Cruise (who plays Ethan Hunt in the franchise).
It’s possible that this played a part in Renner’s decision to sit out of Fallout.
We all know that Jeremy Renner is an incredible actor. He’s been in some of the most popular movies over the past few years, including the Avengers franchise and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. So, it was a bit of a surprise when he wasn’t in Mission: Impossible 6.
Real Reason Why Wasn’t Jeremy Renner in Mission Impossible 6
Jeremy Renner’s absence from Mission: Impossible – Fallout, the sixth installment in the franchise, sparked much curiosity among fans. While the exact reason remains a bit ambiguous, several factors contributed to his missing presence:
1. Scheduling Conflicts: Renner, at the time, was heavily committed to filming Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame. These demanding projects clashed with the shooting schedule for Fallout, making it difficult for him to participate in both.
2. Character Development: Director Christopher McQuarrie initially envisioned a larger role for Renner’s character, William Brandt, even considering a dramatic opening involving his death. However, with the scheduling constraints, they had to adjust the narrative, leaving Brandt’s fate ambiguous and his presence unnecessary for the plot’s progression.
3. Offer for a Smaller Role: McQuarrie reportedly offered Renner a cameo appearance, but the actor declined. While the specific reasons for his decision haven’t been publicly disclosed, some speculate it might have been due to the limited screen time or feeling it wouldn’t do justice to his character.
4. Creative Vision: The filmmakers ultimately decided to focus on Ethan Hunt’s (Tom Cruise) personal journey and the evolving dynamics of the IMF team in Fallout. Renner’s absence facilitated a tighter focus on the core narrative without diluting the impact of other characters’ arcs.
5. Open for the Future: While Renner’s absence in Fallout raised questions, McQuarrie has expressed openness to bringing Brandt back in future installments if the story and scheduling align. This leaves the door open for a potential return, though no concrete plans have been confirmed.
Will Jeremy Renner Be in Mission Impossible 7?
Unfortunately, Jeremy Renner does not appear in “Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One,” the seventh installment in the franchise released in September 2023. His character, William Brandt, is not mentioned throughout the film.
This was the second consecutive film where Renner was absent. He missed “Mission: Impossible – Fallout” (2018) due to scheduling conflicts and creative choices. While the door remains open for a potential return, several factors contribute to his continued absence in “Dead Reckoning Part One”:
- Scheduling: Renner’s accident and ongoing recovery in early 2023 might have impacted his availability for filming.
- Story Focus: The film focuses on Ethan Hunt’s (Tom Cruise) personal journey and the IMF team’s new challenges, with a tighter narrative that doesn’t necessarily require Brandt’s presence.
- Creative Direction: Director Christopher McQuarrie might have chosen to prioritize other characters and storylines for this specific installment.
Why Did Jeremy Renner Stop Doing Mission: Impossible?
To say Jeremy Renner “stopped doing Mission: Impossible” isn’t entirely accurate. He’s only missed one film, Mission: Impossible – Fallout (2018). Here’s a more nuanced breakdown of his absence:
Reasons for Missing Fallout:
- Scheduling Conflicts: Renner’s commitment to Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame clashed with Fallout’s filming schedule.
- Character Development: Director Christopher McQuarrie initially envisioned a larger role for Renner’s character, but due to scheduling constraints, it was changed, leaving Brandt’s presence unnecessary for the plot.
- Offered Cameo: McQuarrie offered Renner a cameo, but he declined, possibly due to limited screen time or feeling it wouldn’t do justice to his character.
- Creative Vision: The filmmakers focused on Ethan Hunt’s journey and evolving team dynamics, and Renner’s absence facilitated a tighter narrative.
In the blog post, the author discusses why actor Jeremy Renner was not in the latest Mission Impossible movie. The author speculates that it may be because of scheduling conflicts or because of creative differences between Renner and the studio.
You May Also Like: